Y1 Introduction to Particle Physics and Cosmology
Material for the 2012-13 course.
The course consists of two separate parts, PP and Cosmology.
The course begins on Thursday 10th Jan. in Strathcona LR1, 10:00. PP lectures will be given in this slot each week.
The cosmology lectures will be begin on Tuesday 15th Jan., Poynting S06 (Small Lecture Theatre) at 11:00, and will continue in this slot each week
Please use references given below each lecture as background reading to the course. The lecture numbers given below refer to the PP lectures only.
Note that some URLs to scientific journals may be restricted to IP addresses on campus and may not work from home.
Written lecture notes are not distributed but all transparencies/handouts are given below. A non-exhaustive list of references is given for each lecture. Note that references are to Martin and Shaw 1st Edition
as in the course reading list
. If using 2nd edition Martin and Shaw, please refer to chapter 11 rather than chapter 10.
- Lecture 3 (24 Jan. 2013) (4 slides/page)
- Martin (beginning only of) Section 1.3, 1.4.1,
- Martin and Shaw, (concepts only, beginnings of) Sections 4.1, 4.2
- Martin and Shaw, Sections 6.1, 6.1.1
- Martin and Shaw, Sections 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3
- Martin and Shaw, Sections 9.1.1 (also 9.1 and 9.1.1)
- Lecture 4 (31 Jan. 2013) (4 slides/page)
- Martin and Shaw, Sections 8.3.3
- Background/further reading for the very interested, not required for the course itself!
- Phys. Rep. : 374 (2003) , pp.165-270, Physics at CPLEAR, A. Angelopoulos et al. (CPLEAR Collaboration), pg ~171.
- preprint CERN-EP-2001-060, T-violation and CPT-invariance measurements in the CPLEAR experiment: a detailed description of the analysis of neutral-kaon decays to e pi nu , Angelopoulos et al.
- Phys. Rev. D 83, 092001 (2011), Precise Measurements of Direct CP Violation, CPT Symmetry, and Other Parameters in the Neutral Kaon System
Example questions and solutions for revision practise
Example questions, more can be added on request.
See also Prof. Vecchio's web pages
for the cosmology component of this module.