Minutes for 24-Jan-2006 Meeting at RHUL
Present: Chris Targett-Adams,
Fabrizio Salvatore, Michele Faucci-Gianelli, Mike Green,
George Mavromanolakis, David Ward, Wenbiao Yan,
Victoria Martin, Paul Dauncey, Hakan Yilmaz, Nigel Watson
We had short reports on:
- News from Calice Orsay meeting
Since Orsay, DESY test beam for ECAL proposed to start mid-Apr..
Shifts would require 2 people if flammable gas, Japanese colleagues
will now allow variation of the gas mixture in their drift
chambers such that no longer flammable (but lower efficiency).
Would need to be used premixed. Several people (incl. PD) would be
at DESY mid-Feb and could test tracking efficiency. Sign up list
for shifts would be made available for the next DESY run.
Currently still 16 layers of ECAL, expecting 50 more wafers (~9
layers) from Korea, but not know what usable yield will be.
- Physics Studies, Michele
Used D10scint model, found missing energy in Z to mu pair channel
of ZHH events (not seen in corresponding Z to electron pair
channel). Various suggestions to understand such as looking at
simpler Z production events. Suggested to use LDC01 detector model
also. Fabrizio had contacted Norman Graf about (in)compatability
problem with some of the sdthep files available c/o SLAC.
- Experience with Geant4.8.0,
Reported on result of recent improvements to e.m. modelling in
G4.8.0 and addition of upstream material in mokka test beam model.
Improved consistency with data in basic energy/position/sum energy
distributions. For pion beam, variation between models/versions
leads to changes ~15% in energy deposited (total and in Ecal/Hcal,
and no. of clusters).
- Grid certificates,
Brief summary of process necessary to become member of CALICE VO
- Minimum aims (for LCWS)
- Test beam data analysis
- WW/ZZ separation plot - 0.3/sqrt(E)?
- Detector optimisation: variation of length, B field, radius,
granularity (longitudinal and transverse)
- Presentation of MAPS (concept, backed up by some performance
indicators, h/w and s/w aspects)?? - less likely, given attendees
- Round table discussion
- Physics Studies
- Single particle energy resolution, Mike G. had studied this
using D10Scint model, did not find expected 13%/sqrt(E).
- Event display, useful for debugging code/algorithms.
CEDViewer as a Marlin package and Wired4 as plugin to JAS3
available. Geometry of detector will be displayed using Gear (XML)
file (CEDViewer) or Heprep (Wired4, usually produced by Geant4),
respectively. Some problems with using Wired with full detector
heprep from Geant4 (too much information/file size).
- Mark's alternative/extension to Alexei R's Wolf clustering -
use default Wolf clustering for present
- Gear files - for LDC, see example distributed with MarlinReco
as starting point: .../packages/MarlinReco/examples/LDC/gear_ldc.xml
- Test beam preparation
- Long discussion about studies required, and for related
data analysis, leading to "Task List", below.
- Next steps
- Mike - single e-/mu- resolutions, look into weighting by
thickness of absorber layers
- Michele/Fab. - physics study, understand missing energy in
muon channel, try using LDC01 detector model?, try using particle
id to separate mu/e from hadronic jets before forcing rest of
event to 4 jets.
- George - setting up for test beam from his experience last
- David - simulations of samples using latest mokka/G4 for test
beam configuration, made available on web
- Nigel - MAPS into LDC01 model?
- Fab. - look into change of tracker hits to calorimaterHits
for the scintillator model, investigate application of threshold
to drift chamber hits
Task list (24-Jan-version)
- Energy resolution vs. energy, angle
- Position resolution vs. energy, angle
- Angular resolution vs. energy, angle
- Comparision and tuning of simulation to data
- Comparision of calibrations in cosmics vs. real data
- Efficiency, dead space between pads and wafers
- Electronics/DAQ understanding
- Coherent noise
- Shaping times
- HOLD timing setting
- Tracking calibration, alignment, material mapping
and track fitting
- Pedestals vs. time, noise vs. time
- Pedestals vs. ttemperature, noise vs. temperature
- Cosmics data, new vs. old gain
- Comparison of electronics calibration, cosmics calibration,
electron beam calibration
- Systematic production of reconstructed data files for all runs
- Run planning
- Optimisation of missing slab positions; where to place inactive
slabs if not received sufficient wafers
- Need for electronics calibration; how often?
- Need for/from electron beam calibration; scan of each pad?
- Recording physical configuration (photos/survey of drift chambers, scintillators)
- Run monitoring
- Immediate online monitoring
- Semi-online bin file monitoring
- Semi-online LCIO monitoring
- Book keeping during shifts
- Recording test beam conditions (from accelerator)
- Digitisation of tracking hits, remove low energy sim hits
- Storing truth particle positions at tracking chambers and
ECAL front face
- Digitisation of ECAL; add noise (channel-by-channel), threshold,
time-dependence due to preamp shaper, crosstalk, coherent noise
- Systematic production of standard MC samples of 100k events
- Systematic production of digitised and reconstructed simulation
samples from the above